Monday 17 August 2009

Lavender Dreams

Lavender has long been used as a sleep aid. Some people claim it works as well as sleeping pills, but without any of the side effects. This week I decided to test this claim on the most restless sleeper in our house - my husband.

My husband, as I may have mentioned before, is something of a skeptic. He's also quite stubborn, and when he makes up his mind about something, there is no changing it. So, I didn't see the need to inform him of my latest experiment I would be testing on him.

I merely took one of my French Organic Lavender Pillow and Drawer Liners and slipped it into his pillowcase while he was at work, landscaping.

"You know," he said, as we climbed into bed for the night, "the whole house is starting to smell like lavender."

I just smiled. "I know," I said. "Isn't it wonderful?"

The next morning, I awoke from a wonderful lavender induced sleep. I felt wonderful. I turned to my husband. "How did you sleep last night?" I asked.

He looked at me slightly confused. "It's weird," he said, "I had one of the best sleeps ever last night." For him, this is rather significant, as he doesn't usually sleep well. He tosses and turns a lot, and wakes up several times a night.

I reached into his pillow, and pulled out the pillow liner. "Think this might have had something to do with it?"

He shrugged. "All I know is I slept really well, and whatever it was, I'd use it again." So the lavender liner has a new home under my husband's pillow. I don't complain, since it helps me sleep as well.

After a couple of night, my husband mentioned that his dreams were especially vivid with the lavender, and I noticed this as well, although I often have vivid dreams, so I cannot necessarily connect that to the lavender.

A friend of mine who has the large satin lavender eye pillow says that she uses that to help her fall back to sleep after nursing at night time, and she finds that helps her to go back to sleep more easily.

It looks like this is another successful experiment! Lavender can help with a good night of sleep, and lavender triumphs over the skeptic again!

Join us next week as we compare flax heating pads to barley heating pads, comparing which is the most comfortable and which one retains heat the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment