Friday 21 May 2010

New Natural Mosquito Repellents

Don’t get me wrong. I love our lavender dryer sachets. I think they’re wonderful for a natural mosquito repellent. But there’s something about having an independent 2 year old who insists on wearing the same outfit for a week that makes it less effective by day 3 or 4 for warding off the mosquitoes. And hanging my delicates to dry on the line posed an additional problem.

So when someone suggested making spritzers, I was intrigued. I found some bottles with spritzer tops and made a concoction of orange and lavender essential oils and created a spray. I added the orange, just for something a little different. I’ve sprayed it on myself and my daughter each time we’ve gone out, and even down by the river, it seemed to keep the mosquitoes at bay, and it’s a light spray, more of a mist, so it doesn’t feel heavy or oily when I sprayed it on.

The spritzers can be used as room sprays, pillow sprays, body spritzers, as well as for the mosquito repellent, but that’s where I began to question the orange mixed with the lavender. It smelled wonderful, but as a pillow spray, citrus is a stimulant, whereas lavender is a relaxant, also citrus can cause some sun sensitivity (although in those small amounts, it should be unlikely.)

However, with my husband, the landscaper, wearing a new outfit that hadn’t been put through the dryer with our lavender sachets, he was swarmed by mosquitoes, so I am making up some new spritzers for him and other volunteers to test them out before adding them to our line.

Check back next week to see our results!

No comments:

Post a Comment